Sunday 31 January 2010

A Place To Bury Strangers @ The Other Rooms

Reviewed by Chris Render

I hadn’t really heard much from this band before the night, but heralded as “the loudest band in New York”, A Place to Bury Strangers were always going to be something special. However, I had no idea quite what I was in for as the NY trio took to the stage in Digital’s Other Rooms on the 13th of November this year. They were phenomenal.

The set, although relatively short, was one of the most impassioned I have ever seen, a factor emphasised by the nature of the venue. A Place To Bury Strangers were perfectly suited to The Other Rooms, the bands characteristic intensity magnified by the intimate venue, leading to one of the most dynamic performances I’ve ever seen. The image of guitarist and singer Oliver Ackermann violently de-stringing a guitar mid-song will stay with me to the grave

The charismatic Ackermann is one hell of a performer, not just in terms of his notable musical talent, but also in terms of his commanding stage presence. He was one of the most dynamic stage performers I’ve ever seen, constantly in motion, injecting each song with intense passion. Adding to the band’s already formidable presence were drummer Jay Space and bassist Jono MOFO, one of the most talented rhythm sections I’ve ever encountered.

On the whole, the set was concise, brutal and amazing. Not a moment was wasted, the entire performance being imbued with the band’s trademark intensity and passion. I was left breathless and desperate for more. A Place To Bury Strangers were, in many ways, the musical equivalent of a rollercoaster: fast, intense, brutal and thrilling. One of the best performances I’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment