Sunday 31 January 2010

Asobi Seksu @ the O2 Academy

Reviewed by Chris Render

Asobi Seksu provided me with a musical experience that I don’t expect to forget any time soon. The eclectic New York dream-pop extravaganza was unlike anything I had ever seen, a fantastic window into the shoegazing genre.

The dynamic performance of the band, most notably lead vocalist Yuki Chikudate, only acted to further improve the experience, adding to the talented and innovative music of the band. As an introduction to a genre I had very little experience with, they were more than sufficient. As a musical experience, they were sublime. Asobi Seksu were, essentially, indescribable, other than to say they were brilliant.

If you’re a fan of shoegaze, you can’t go wrong with Asobi Seksu. If you aren’t, check them out. I expect you soon will be. After all, it’s not often a support act manages to upstage performers like White Lies, but Asobi Seksu were by a substantial margin the best band I saw that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment