Sunday 31 January 2010

The Answer @ O2 Academy

Reviewed by Chris Render

As a big fan of Irish rockers The Answer, I jumped at the chance to see them live last Saturday at the 02 Academy, on the fourth night of their first headlining tour. After all, Everyday Demons, the band’s second album, is a strong contender for my album of the year. So any opportunity to see the band play one of Newcastle’s best venues was one I had no intentions of missing.

Much to my disappointment, I missed the support acts due to an interview with the band, but I am assured that both Toxic Federation and General Fiasco played brilliantly, and perfectly set the tone for what was to follow. So, with eager anticipation, I waited for The Answer.

The crowd went wild as the band reached the stage, and not without good reason. The Answer were phenomenal. Clearly a band comprised of dynamic and talented performers, the raw energy and stage presence exuded by the band, in particular vocalist Cormac Neeson, was indescribable. It was clear to anybody watching that The Answer displayed an amazing chemistry, four top quality musicians working in perfect synchronisation, and obviously having a great time doing it.

The set was astonishing, a mix of material from the new album and older fan favourites from the band’s debut, Rise. Fast paced crowd pleasers like Demon Eyes and Under the Sky were combined with more considered and thoughtful anthems like Why’d You Change Your Mind and Comfort Zone, but the band never lost its energy or dynamism. The Answer are a band that are at their finest live, and their finest is something well worth seeing.

The Answer have been described as keeping the classic rock genre alive, and from what I’ve seen, they don’t need much help. I can confidently say that this is the single best gig I’ve seen at the Academy in my long years of rock fandom.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment