Tuesday 10 November 2009

Absent Elk (w/ Hold Fire) at the 02 Academy 2

5.11.09

Reviewed by Scott McLoughlin

I’d like to start with a small disclaimer. I’m not sure my review of this gig is from a representative opinion. I’m a 20 year old bloke. Now imagine the scene. I get to 02 Academy, and enter it to find a crowd which I then assess: the crowd has an average age of 14, and I can see three men. I say men, I mean prepubescent teenagers. As any 20 year old student would I begin to feel a little odd that I’m amongst the oldest in the room, thankfully I had a friend with me, and there were a few older people scattered amongst the disappointing turnout of 40. It was Bonfire night, but even so, I couldn’t help feeling sorry for the bands. Throughout the night they would prove themselves to be much better than the disappointments Newcastle extended unto them. Hold Fire (no ‘the’) took to the stage. They are a Pop Rock band, full of hooks, melodies, and at some points four-part harmonies. All this is mixed with good lyrics, some of which aren’t words. Their tracks are easy on the ear but with musical integrity often missing in pop; I’d place them somewhere between Bob Dylan and nursery rhymes. In short, if you like songs you’ll like these guys. They also performed ‘Call the Shots’ originally by Girls Aloud amongst their own material. Furthermore they made ‘Call the shots’ a better song, giving it a rockier vibe. They have a debut album (Keys to the City) out now for digital download, and a free track on their MySpace page.

Finally the time came for Absent Elk to perform. And Perform they did! However, if they hadn’t performed as energetically and compellingly as they did to the 40 attendants they would have been excused. It was as intimate and personal a gig as you could hope for. Nevertheless, they truly looked to be giving it their all. So much so the dance floor still bounced! I went to the gig expecting a Pop band. Elk however are so much more. Their album is full of variety and their live performances even more so. The lucky 40 of Newcastle were treated to one of the first acoustic performances of Elk’s interpretation of Lady Gaga’s Pokerface. A version that has become an internet hit and a version I personally much prefer to the original. Their stage craft was first rate; their interaction with the crowd too should be commended. Personally their incredibly catchy song’s ‘Cannibals’ and ‘First Guitar’ stood out, as well as their next single ‘Change My World’ which offered contrasted to the largely up tempo set. Needless to explain their first single ‘Sun and Water’ also went down well due to crowd familiarity. The band’s musicianship could be over looked, though it definitely should not, every member can really play. They create a pop sound, somewhere between indie-rock and Norwegian Folk music. The element of their performance that really surprised me was the drumming. It was interesting, varied, and impassioned. The beats where complemented by acoustic guitar, occasionally synth, thumping bass and most distinguishably an indie toned screaming guitar. This screaming droning dynamic guitar tone, though difficult to describe, but somewhat characteristic of this band; gentle yet piercing.

All these layers of enjoyable noise and I have neglected to mention the lead vocals of Kjetil Morland. Unique, perhaps because of the Anglo-Norwegian accent he sings in. He doesn’t have a powerful voice, the kind x-factor makes you believe everyone should have. It’s delicate, agreeable, and refreshing; sort of like jumping into a fiord in winter. Throughout their set it felt like the audience performer distinction blurred, and you realised they were just thoroughly nice people you wanted to go have a chat with. The best bit was if you felt so inclined you could. They were very friendly and amicable people with loads of time for their fans. Download their next single Change my World from November 30th or alternately buy or download their album ‘caught in the headlights’ now. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

3.5/5

www.absentelk.com
www.myspace.com/absentelk

No comments:

Post a Comment