Thursday 5 February 2009

Innerpartysystem @ Academy 2 03/02/09

Waiting in the queue for a sold out gig, just after having interviewed the headline band Innerpartysystem, I found myself surrounded by a lot of young girls. These girls were all dressed the same way. It was a bit disturbing, as I did not picture ISP to have a fan base of that nature.
It seems to have become a fashion for me not to see the first support act. I did not even dare step into the venue and only heard My Passion from the merch table. My excuse is that I did not want to loose my hearing, and that I had a very good conversation with ISP manager.
MC Rut (standing for Middle Class) from Sacramento (CAKE’s home town) were the next band to perform, and they were much more of my liking. I enjoyed their set, even though I have the feeling something was missing in it. I am not quite sure what it was though. A certain punch, but all in all I should not complain as I had a great time, and those two boys had a lot of energy when on stage. After the show I had a short conversation with the drummer (picture), a very nice guy I have to say, and well we talked about CAKE. He very much took a liking in my CAKE obsession.
Finally my very tiered self got to enjoy the very energetic set of Innerpartysystem. I myself think their music is electronic rock, with hints of metal meets dance. The music was great, and should be played on more dance floors! Music wasn’t the only important thing of their set; no there was an underling factor to the electronic side of it all. They put to show an amazing lighting, making it seem more like a club night than a concert. They ended the show with their current single “Don’t Stop”, sung by the whole crowd as well as the band.
I can only recommend you to catch ISP when you have the chance to do so.

Review by Solveig Werner

No comments:

Post a Comment