Friday 26 September 2008

The Hoosiers Freshers Gig

This year’s freshers’ second gig was the London band The Hoosiers supported by two local acts. After having the treat of interviewing the lovely lads of the Hoosiers my friends and I settled far away from the freshers in a quiet room of the union close to the basement. We missed the first of the two support bands, which is of course unfortunate, but let our ears be virgin to the sound of Detroit Social Club or DSC.
I had heard of DSC before, but never anything by them. So it came as a pleasant surprise that they are in fact a really good live band. In a way live bands are good when even without knowing their music you are totally in the vibe once they step on the stage. There was energy present in the room that filled it from almost empty to almost completely full in a matter of minutes. I absolutely loved what I saw and heard and I believe that I was not alone on that account. Certain songs a lot of fresher’s chanting along with their hands in the air, the last song was probably the best, no one wanted the band to leave the stage behind. The ambiance was absolutely amazing, and I can’t do anything but recommend you to see Detroit Social Club.
Then it was for the Hoosiers to prove what they could do with their Yeti amps, and good looks. I had for some reason always heard form people that the Hoosiers are not such a good band. I have to say whoever told me that was exaggerating. The Hoosiers were a fun band, making the drunk and the sober students party. Their keyboard player, who was the additional member, from Newcastle, could apparently play everything. After asking the crowd what they should play, it came down to an extract of a Killers song, and the theme tune to Inspector Gadget. The Killers song was almost a mistake, as the crowd could not stop singing even though they had stopped playing it. When they did Cops and Robbers, it seemed like everyone was dancing. It is too bad that the weeks held during freshers week do not come with encores.

Review by by Solveig Werner

No comments:

Post a Comment