Saturday 19 April 2008

Mystery Jets @ The Cluny 19/04/08

If someone says ‘Mystery Jets’ I say “Arrrggggghhhhhghghgh!!!!!” - this is a good reaction, by the way. I can safely say I had been looking forward to this gig for exactly a million years. One of my favourite bands in one of my favourite venues: YUM. And yummy it was, this mouth-watering evening started off with a nibbler from local lady Beth Jeans Houghton, think Regina Spektor with a dash of Laura Marling - delish. Dished up next were Little Comets, without expecting too much, these boys did more than pleasantly surprise; they blew my frickin’ socks off. Filled to the brim with scrummy, poppy, chantey, dance-y goodness; I wanted to order seconds.After appetisers like these I was greedy for more, Mystery Jets were my main course and desert rolled into one neat, tasty set. From the sweet depths of their older tracks such as ‘Diamonds in the Dark’, to the juicy highlights of upcoming single ‘Two Doors Down’ they delighted and charmed the 350 capacity room. Having heard that previously the band invited a crowd member onstage to sing Laura Marling’s part in ‘Young Love’, I was slightly disappointed when Blaine sang the part himself and I was unable to display my amazing vocal talent! (Cough cough). As with most over 18 gigs the crowd were slightly reluctant to ‘jam out’, but with a ‘Zoo Time’ encore even the coolest of cucumbers couldn’t resist to burn a few musical calories.

Review by Marzena Dabrowska (photos by Solveig Werner)

No comments:

Post a Comment